When it comes time to move, one of the most fragile objects you’ll need to pack is your glass dishes. If they are not packed correctly, they could easily break in transit. Most people just wrap their dishes in newspapers and hope for the best. This is actually not the best way to protect your dishes. There are many ways you can pack your dishes so they will be safe during the move, and that’s what we’re going to discuss today. In this blog post, we will give you a few tips on how to pack glass dishes for moving so that they make it safely to your new home.
What Do You Need for Packing Fragile Objects like Glass Dishes?
How to pack glass dishes for moving? You need to use the right tools and materials to do the job correctly when packing fragile items. A couple of boxes and newspapers might seem like they will do the trick, but it’s best to use specialized packing materials designed for fragile objects. This will give your dishes the best chance of surviving the move unscathed.
Here are a few things you will need:
- A box – Look for a box that is approximately the same size as the dish, but slightly larger than the dish so it can be fully contained. You don’t want the box to be too big, or your dishes will move around and break during the transportation.
- Scissors, a ruler, and a tape measure – These are all good tools to have on hand to cut the box down to size. There’s no specific size required for the scissors, but make sure they’re sharp so you can easily cut through the cardboard.
- Packing materials – You will need newspaper, paper towels, or packing foam to cushion your glass dishes during shipment. Bubble wrap or packing peanuts can also be used to cushion glass dishes in transport as well as to add weight if needed.
Now that you have all the materials you need, let’s discuss the proper way how to pack glass dishes for moving.
How To Pack Glass Dishes For Moving
Packing glass dishes is not as difficult as it may seem. With a little bit of care and the right materials, you can easily protect your dishes during the move.
Here’s what you need to do on how to pack glass dishes for moving:
1Gather the right supplies: As we mentioned before, you will need a box that is slightly larger than the dish, packing materials such as newspaper or packing foam, and scissors.
2Pack the dishes in the box: Place a layer of packing material in the bottom of the box. This will help to cushion the dishes and prevent them from breaking if the box is dropped.
3Stack the dishes correctly: When stacking the dishes, it’s important to do it correctly. Start by placing the heaviest dish on the bottom and then stack the lighter ones on top. Be sure to place a layer of packing material between each dish to prevent them from banging into each other and breaking.
4Don’t pack anything else with your dishes: Once the dishes are packed in the box, don’t try to pack anything else with them. This will only increase the chances of them breaking.
5Tape up the box securely: Use packing tape to seal up the box. Be sure to tape it both horizontally and vertically so that the box is securely closed.
6Label the box carefully: How to pack glass dishes for moving? Be sure to label the box with “Fragile objects” or “Glass Dishes” so that the movers will know to handle it with care.
Note: When choosing a packing material, it’s important to select one that is strong enough to protect your dishes. Newspaper is a good option, but if you’re concerned about the strength, you can also use paper towels or packing foam. Bubble wrap or packing peanuts can also be used, but keep in mind that they are sometimes not allowed in commercial shipments.
By following these simple tips, you can easily pack your glass dishes for moving. Just be sure to take your time and be careful so that you don’t end up with any broken dishes.
Mistakes You Shouldn’t Do When Packing Fragile Object
Many people are not aware of the proper way to pack fragile objects and end up making some common mistakes. If you don’t want to risk your dishes breaking, then you need to avoid making these mistakes:
- Not using packing peanuts: Packing peanuts is one of the best ways to protect your dishes. They will fill up any empty space in the box and prevent your dishes from moving around too much.
- Using too much tape: You might think that using tapes will keep your dishes more secure, but it can actually have the opposite effect. Too much tape can make it difficult to open the box and can also damage the dishes.
- Not wrapping each dish individually: Each dish should be wrapped individually in bubble wrap or foam. This will prevent them from rubbing against each other and breaking.
- Not securing the box lid: The lid of the box should be taped shut so that it doesn’t open during the move.
- Forgetting to label the box: Don’t forget to label the box as “fragile” so the movers will know to handle it with care.
By following these tips, you can be sure that your dishes will arrive safely at your new home. Packing fragile objects doesn’t have to be difficult, as long as you take the time to do it right.
Transporting Your Glass Dishes
Once your dishes are packed up, you need to focus on transporting them to your new home. You can move the fragile objects yourself or hire a professional moving company to do it for you.
If you decide to move the dishes yourself, be sure to use a dolly or hand truck to transport them. This will help to prevent any damage from happening during the move.
You can use any type of vehicle to transport your dishes, but be sure to secure them properly. If you’re using a van or SUV, you can put the box in the back and secure it with straps.
Vehicle Type Dimensions/
(Outside Metro Manila)
Wing Van 32 to 40 x 7.8 x 7.8 ft
12000kg to 28000kg
7500 PHP 6500 PHP 6500 PHP 6w Fwd Truck 18 x 6 x 7 ft
4850 PHP 4850 PHP 4850 PHP Closed Van 10 to 14 x 6 x 6 ft
2000kg to 4000kg
1800 PHP 1450 PHP 1450 PHP Open Truck 10 to 21 x 6 ft x open
2000kg and 7000kg
2300 PHP 1950 PHP N/A Mini Dump Truck 10 x 6 ft x open
1500 PHP 1200 PHP N/A L300/Van 8 x 4.5 x 4.5 ft
430 PHP 330 PHP 310 PHP Small Pickup 5 x 5 ft x open
310 PHP 250 PHP 220 PHP Light Van 5.5 x 3.8 x 3.8 ft
250 PHP 192 PHP 225 PHP MPV/SUV 5 x 3.2 x 2.8 ft
160 PHP 130 PHP 140 PHP Sedan 3.5 x 2 x 2.5 ft
140 PHP 110 PHP 120 PHP
If you’re using a sedan, you’ll need to put the box in the trunk and secure it with bungee cords.No matter what type of vehicle you’re using, be sure to take it slow and avoid any sudden stops or turns.
- Fragile Items Packing: How to Handle Them With Care
- Fragile Shipping Hacks: How To Pack Picture Frames for Moving
- How To Move Antiques | Easy Tips on Shipping Fragile Items
Get Help from Transportify!
If you don’t want to risk damaging your dishes, then you can always hire a professional moving company. Transportify is a leading provider of professional moving services.
We have a team of experienced movers who will be able to safely transport your dishes to your new home. We know how to pack glass dishes for moving. Our services are available nationwide, and we offer competitive rates. Contact us today or download our app from your App Store or Playstore.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the best way how to pack glass dishes for moving?
🏠 The best way is to use packing peanuts, bubble wrap, or packing foam. They will fill up any empty space in the box and prevent your dishes from moving around too much
Can I hire someone to help me move my glass dishes?
🏠 Yes, you can always hire a professional moving company like Transportify. We have a team of experienced movers who will be able to safely transport your dishes to your new home.